Tuesday 10 November 2009

A funny conversation and an interesting question...

I was chatting to a friend on MSN the other day, about all sorts of stuff, and the subject came to job hunting. You know when you are filling in an application form, or even fine tuning your CV for a specific job, what should you really be writing? The truth? Or a modified version of the truth?

Here's an excerpt from our conversation, initially I thought it was just funny, but then it made me think:

Nic says:
-ohh I applied for a job yesterday

Diamond says:
-cool, what

Nic says:
-livbrarian.. hahahaha!
-can't even spell it!!

Diamond says:
-lol

Nic says:
-rofl
-my application was quite funny.

Diamond says:
-I imagine it was

Nic says:
-so they'll either look at it and think what a nob.. or think she sounds interesting in the part where
you are meant to say why the job would be suited for you, I rambled on about horse riding
-lmao

Diamond says:
-hahaha, you are funny

Nic says:
-well what else was I supposed to say? I like books?

Diamond says:
-well, yes

Nic says:
-ohh

Diamond says:
-that is exactly it

Nic says:
-I didn't say that

Diamond says:
-hahaha

Nic says:
-I didn't even write the word 'book'...

Yes, it was funny at the time, and knowing my friend it was hilarious, but it made me think.. Do we try to hard when applying for jobs? Do we over garnish our CV's and application forms with stuff to make us appear more attractive to the possible employer? And should we be doing this, or is it better to let the 'real' you come through?

What are your thoughts on this?

No comments:

Post a Comment